xAffect is a software framework for online recording, processing and storage of multi sensor data. It was developed at FZI Research Center for Information Technology, Karlsruhe, Germany.
xAffect can be used as a flexible, customizable middleware between physiological sensors and applications which require online feature computation (e.g. biofeedback). Moreover, it can also be used as a standalone application for data acquisition and visualization.
Although there are some existing commercial products as well as open source projects available for monitoring and analysis of various biosignals, a closer look at these technologies reveals several reasons that made them unsuitable within the context of the EU funded research project xDelia.
The ongoing xAffect development is currently funded by the EU in the project MIRROR.
The development of the xAffect framework has been driven by the following requirements:
- Real-time data processing
- Online feature extraction from physiological variables (e.g. HRV)
- Easy integration of different data sources (e.g. physiological sensors, timers or third party software)
- Easy integration of additional algorithms
- Easy integration into and communication with third party software
- Data logging of raw data as well as derived data
If xAffect meets your requirements, feel free to try it. xAffect is licensed under the Original BSD license and it may be downloaded in the download section.